Monday, December 17, 2018

Book Review: Constructing the CrossFit Games by Dave Castro

Constructing The CrossFit GamesConstructing The CrossFit Games by Dave Castro
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is Dave Castro's journal on the process of programming the 2017 CrossFit games, and it is provided as a day by day journal There are a few story lines here. First, his actual thought process of how he determines the workouts. This includes the test workouts which has some fun discussions of working with the athletes that help him test. It also includes the way he thinks of making up the workouts, how he classifies the workouts, describes the stimulus, and how he makes sure that the overall event covers a broad range of classifications and stimuli, and does this all within the time available during the weekend for all competitor categories. The stories are fun, but the discussions near the end of how he classifies workouts was something I was very interested in (I am an engineering professor)

The other big story is how he manages the CrossFit games. When I run my university department's senior capstone project class, I have a requirement that they include their weekly reports in their final report. Because I want a record to see how sausage is made. This book strikes me as being in the same spirit. The Games are a very big project with many parts. So we have day by day stories of how he is addressing one small piece of this big project, the false starts, the tests and what did or did not work, of incremental improvements, and the interactions with staff and his test athletes that lead to a final product. And at the end was a reflection, how each event went compared to how it was planned, warts and all. And so what I will most remember about this book is this reflection, and Castro's transparency and raw honesty with what worked and did not.

View all my reviews

No comments: