Friday, May 04, 2012

Book Review: Dinocalpyse Now by Chuck Wendig

Dinocalypse Now (Dinocalypse Trilogy #1)Dinocalypse Now by Chuck Wendig
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Dinocalypse Now is a pulp book set in the world of a role playing game, Spirit of the Century. So you know what you are getting into, which is just a lot of fun. It moves quickly, with one cliffhanger and plot twist after another and leaves you with a smile with every chapter.

It suffers from having too many characters to follow. There are about three main story lines with the heros, and two more following the villians. While it is one way of introducing characters and giving you some reason to remember each, it means that the main one (and I am pretty sure that there is a main one, since it includes the obligatory romance) is short changed and the love triangle feels stilted.

It is a fun book to read, set in a setting that is fun (and not infrequently silly) to play. I like its setting of the scene and I'm looking forward to the remainder of the series to start showing up, which I'm hoping do a better job of developing individual characters.

View all my reviews

No comments: