Monday, July 13, 2009

Book Review: Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL: From Novice to Professional by Neil Matthew

Originally at Goodreads

Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL: From Novice to Professional, Second Edition (Beginning from Novice to Professional) Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL: From Novice to Professional, Second Edition by Neil Matthew


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
This has proven to be a very good book. I'm not a database expert, but I happen to need PostgreSQL because I am working on a project that involves GIS, and PostGIS turns out to be a very appropriate tool for what I am doing. This book got me started and has helped me through the importing of data, understanding basic functions, and incorporating PostgreSQL into my programs (I use a combination of R, Python/Jython and Java. The book does not talk about them all, but what is in there carries over pretty well.) I've also used this to use BIRT and Openoffice.org to link my PostgreSQL databases. Again, it is not spelled out, but what was in here brought me well along the way to making it work.


View all my reviews.

No comments: